By Rob Arndt

"The Bell" (German: Die Glocke) represented something at the very pinnacle of SS General’s Hans Kammler's occult and super-secret SS "wonder weapons" empire. Nick Cook's book, "Hunt for Zero Point" represents the only publicly accessible information on this bizarre object in the English language, the equally macabre experimentation that surrounded it, and the stringent security the SS held it under. The following are the salient features of The Bell, according to information Cook received from both German and Czech sources:
(1) The Bell was reportedly a metallic object, approximately 9 ft. in diameter and 12-15 ft. tall;
(2) It looked like a "Bell", hence its codename to the Germans, die Glocke;
(3) It was comprised of two counter-rotating cylinders, rotating a purplish liquid-metallic looking substance code-named "Xerum 525" by the Germans, at high speeds;
(4) "Xerum 525" was apparently highly radioactive, being purple in color, and housed in cylinders with lead lining 3 cm (12 in.) thick;
(5) The Bell apparently required high amounts of electrical power in its operation;
(6) During use, it could only be run for approximately one to two minutes, as it apparently gave off strong radiation and/or other electromagnetic or unknown field effects

(a) Several scientist died on its first operation; 
(b) Subsequent tests included various plants and animals, all of which decomposed into a blackish goo and without normal putrefaction, within a matter of a few minutes or hours after exposure to its field effects when in operation;
(c) Technicians near the Bell during these experiments reported metallic tastes in their mouths after being exposed to it;
(d) The chamber in which the Bell was tested was lined with ceramic bricks and rubber mats, and had to have its rubber matting removed and burned after each test, and it was subsequently washed down with brine by inmates from nearby concentration camps;
(7) All the scientists and witnesses who saw or worked on the Bell were murdered by the SS as the war neared its end;
(8) The Bell was transplanted out of Silesia to a destination that has never been discovered. The Bell, along with General Kammler himself, simply disappear entirely from history, never to be seen again. It is believed, however, that both the Bell and General Kammler were transported by U-boat to a base outside of the Reich (Base 211 in Neu Schwabenland, Antarctica being the strongest choice). Others suggest Norway where German troops still held that territory with another Ju-390 supposedly kept in reserve as an evacuation aircraft.
 (9) A strange "Henge" like structure was constructed by the Germans out of reinforced concrete near the facility where the Bell was located and tested. This structure resembled a test rig for the possible test of extremely powerful propulsion devices.


The rotation of the object, and presumably the radioactive liquid-metal called "Xerum 525", suggests that the Germans were investigating the inertial and vortex properties of radioactive material when subjected to high speed rotation, as well as the resulting field effects.

It is likely that this rotation was caused by passing a current through the liquid - hence the high power consumption - but the possibility of mechanical rotation should not be ruled out in addition to this, as German progress in jet engine turbines and uranium centrifuges would have given them the experience to construct very high speed turbines for rotating such material for study. In this sense, it is possible that the Bell was nothing more than two counter-rotating ultra-high speed turbines That is to say, the Bell may have been an ultra high speed electro- mechanical turbine of some sort, an offshoot, perhaps, of German centrifuge technology development.

The housing of this device in an underground chamber lined with ceramic brick and rubber mats suggests that it gave off extremely strong electro-magnetic or electro-static field effects as well as high heat when in operation. The reporting of metallic tastes in the mouths of what few surviving personnel there are suggests this. The quick decay without apparent putrefaction of organic material within its field suggests effects that some would associate with scalar waves.

But what was the mysterious "Xerum 525"? When first investigating this strange material, the first thought is that it might be some radioactive isotope of mercury, or possibly a more radioactive substance in chemical solution of some sort. It is perhaps worth noting that recently a strange substance known as "red mercury", or mercury antominate oxide, has been alleged to have strong neutron emitting properties when subjected to sudden explosive stress, and is alleged to be a non-fissile method of triggering the enormous fusion reactions of hydrogen bombs, as well as being able, in its own right, of fission explosions in the small kiloton range. Perhaps the Nazis had stumbled onto a similar such substance during the war.

Cook also notes that, at the end of the war, Kammler had special jurisdiction over a secret "SS evacuation command" that had been personally established by Reichsleiter Martin Bormann

in great secrecy. This command included jurisdiction over all of Nazi Germany's heavy-lift ultra-long range transport aircraft, including the Ju-290 and the six engine monster, the Ju-390, stationed near Prag-Kbely Aerodrome. These planes were based at the end of the war quite near the secret underground facility where the Bell was being tested.

Jakob Sporrenberg and Die Glocke

In charge of the Special Evacuation unit's "northern route" cell was a very high-ranking SS general named Jakob Sporrenberg, who was captured by the British and handed over to the Poles. During interrogations, he let out his knowledge regarding some mysterious high-tech machine called "Die Glocke" - 'the Bell'.

Following his capture, as much as Sporrenberg was able to divulge to Soviet intelligence and the Polish courts about the Bell was this, Witkowski said.

The project had gone under two code names: "Laternenträger" and "Chronos" and always involved "Die Glocke" - the bell-shaped object that had glowed when under test. The Bell itself was made out of a hard, heavy metal and was filled with a mercury-like substance, violet in color... The experiments always took place under a thick ceramic cover and involved the rapid spinning of two cylinders in opposite directions.

The tests involved placing various plants and animals within the Bell's influence. Almost all of them were destroyed:

A crystalline substance formed within the tissues, destroying them from the inside; liquids, including blood, gelled and separated into clearly distilled fractions." People in the program also suffered from "sleep problems, loss of memory and balance, muscle spasms and a permanent unpleasant taste in the mouth.

Many of the scientists even died as a result of their exposure to the activated Bell.

According to Sporrenberg, this enigmatic "Bell" was evacuated by the Special Evacuation Kommando before the enemy forces arrived. So, why the hell was this 'Bell' that was so important?

According to Sporrenberg, it was associated with "vortex compression" and "magnetic fields separation," and a related source suggested that the Bell had something to do with "spin polarization" and "spin resonance."

These were, Witkowski pointed out to Cook, "physical principles that had come to be associated with the new wave of gravity and antigravity pioneers - people like Dr. Evgeny Podkletnov."

Could this be it? Was the 'Bell' an antigravity device? Could this be what Kammler and others used to make a deal with the United States? If the 'Bell' really was an operational antigravity machine, it would have certainly been spectacular enough to effectively seduce the victors of the war.

Actually, the 'Bell' could potentially be something even more spectacular. "Marckus," an eminent scientist in one of Britain's best-known universities (Cook refrains from using this person's real name), who had become Cook's unofficial technical adviser, had an insight.

Cook wrote:

Shortly before I boarded my flight at Munich, I checked my cell phone for messages. There were four and Dan Marckus had left three of them. Whatever was on his mind, I knew I was on to something, because, for once, Marckus was chasing me.

With one eye on the departure gate and another on the clock, I called him back.

Even over the bustle of movement in the departure hall and the static of a bad line, I could tell something was definitely up.

"I know what they were trying to do," he said simply.

"My tone softened. "OK, go ahead. I'm listening."

"They were trying to generate a torsion field."

"What is a torsion field?"

"Laternenträger means 'lantern holder.' (Phosphorous from Greek mythology, is known as the “lantern bearer” and in Roman mythology the lantern bearer was known as Satan).

"But it's the second code name that's the giveaway. Chronos. You know what it means, don't you?"

"Yes, Dan. I know what it means. What is a torsion field? What does it do?"

"If you generate a torsion field of sufficient magnitude the theory says you can bend the four dimensions of space around the generator. When you bend space, you also bend time.

"Now, do you understand what they were trying to do?"

I said nothing. It was Marckus who closed the loop.

"They were trying to build a fucking time machine," he said.

Mainstream belief tends to oppose the existence of such a weapon as the Bell and classify it as an Urban legend. To the contrary of mainstream belief, many people believe in such a weapon, and not just that, they also believe that it had sinister intentions. There are many documents and investigations on TV and the Internet that state the Third Reich was doing incredible research before the end of the war in 1945. And, aside from weaponry and advanced aircraft, it was believed that the Third Reich scientists were working on a supposed time machine.

Was the Nazi Bell used to travel back in time? Physics has shown to us that traveling in the past is very difficult, and there is a paradox known for that specific type of time travel called the “Grandfather Paradox”. What this paradox means is that if we traveled back in time and killed our grandfather, our father would not be born and we would never be born. There is also a quantum physics theory that is called Many-Worlds, and it states that every conceivable timeline exists in separate parallel worlds, and is equal as the world we inhabit.

On the other hand, wormholes are tunnels made out of space-time fabric that connect very far distances in space in a much shorter distance. Space-time fabric was proposed by Einstein back in the days (1915 to be exact).

Wormholes exist naturally and theoretical physicist John Weeler said it’s possible wormholes to appear spontaneously anywhere and to suddenly disappear, and he has a hypothesis called “quantum foam hypothesis” backing it up. 

Nazi Bell project

Put most simply the Nazi Bell was in fact a heavy particle accelerator used as an artificial neutron source to breed Protactinium 233 from Thorium 232. Protactinium would naturally degrade after 27 days into pure bomb grade Uranium 233. Heisenberg advocated this method at the Harneck Haus conference in July 1942 and worked closely with Swiss engineer Dr Walter Dallenbach at a secret facilty known as "Forschungsstelle D" to develop the Nazi Bell.

It harnessed the fluorescent quality of Mercury to cause collisions between electrons and photons, which in result released thermal neutrons. The device was surrounded by a concave beryllium mirror to reflect neutrons back into a mass of Thorium oxide placed at the core. The machine generated this X-ray plasma in orbit around an axle which spun two carefully phased contra rotating drums.

How the Story Emerges

The V-1 and V-2 had been locked in a competition for mass production to be decided in July 1943. The V-2 more correctly known as the A-4 had suffered repeated failures during testing. On 26 May 1943 therefore Hitler directed a commission consisting of Armaments Minister Speer, Air Marshall Milch, Grand Admiral Dönitz, and Field Marshall Fromm to view launches of competing V-1 and V-2 missiles at Peenemünde. The V-1 however failed to impress during tests so a decision languished. Hitler wondered could either weapon deliver a conclusive blow against England?

Beset with anxiety at a conference of aircraft manufacturers at Obersalzberg on 23 May 1943, Hitler demanded a new bomber capable of bombing England “night and day.”

This was by no means an easy task. The best German bomber, the He-177 faced slaughter over British skies due to the Luftwaffe’s failure to gain air superiority and would soon lack trained aircrews. Ernst Heinkel stepped up to Hitler’s challenge and offered the extreme high altitude He-277, able to fly much higher than any Allied fighter planes.

By August 1943 Heinkel’s He-277 bomber design was ordered into production development, but what was the purpose of this new bombing campaign?

Phosphorous Connection

In August 1943, co-inciding with plans to renew attacks on England, codename Thor was dropped from the Nazi Bell. Two new codenames replaced it. One was Laternenträger, the other Kronos.   

In 1943 Hitler was contemplating to use both nuclear weapons and Tabun-B nerve gas against England. The Nazi Bell's main involvement with Laternenträger is hard to grasp but may have involved mass production of radionuclides for a dirty nuclear weapon to spread radioactive dust over England or European battlefields and testing of biological effects.

The Nazi Bell project was based in Silesia around Breslau (modern Wroclaw) and in the nearby Sudeten mountains. Silesia was famous for mining coal and phosphorous. Gross Rosen, provided Nazi Bell with forced labour, but it also supported to three nerve gas facilities near Breslau producing the nerve gases Tabun, Sarin and Soman. The so-called Trilon gases. Phosphorous was the vital key ingredient to their manufacture.

Phosphorous from Greek mythology, is known as the “lantern bearer” [Laternenträger] and in Roman mythology the lantern bearer was known as Satan.

'Laternenträger' presumably refers to medical and biological experiments with radiation. It may also refer to the weaponisation of nuclear material produced by the Bell. Laternenträger research was based at Furstenstein Castle according to Gross Rosen camp survivour, Professor Mieczyslaw Moldavia. According to Prof Mieczyslaw Moldavia, other Researchers at Fürstenstein Castle were also investigating and testing pressure suits for a manned V-2 rocket, known as the A-9/A10, part of a manned two stage rocket for attacking New York.

Rainer Karlsh’s book, "Hitler’s Bombe" relates that a team of physicists from Leibig University at Giessen carried out a lot of research at Ludwikowize, which is where the Nazi Bell was located. Sporrenberg commented on various animals and personnel dying horrible deaths after exposure to the Bell. He said their flesh would liquify. Giessen is north of Frankfurt am Main and it's research appears focused on genetics and biological research. Was this ghastly research to discover what radiation could do to Germany's enemies?

The project was also known as Kronos (Saturn) which refers to spin polarisation plasma physics. Thus it could easily be inferred that the rings of Saturn represent the plasma torus inside the Bell. The Bell exploited spin polarisation of atoms to create a plasma, it would be entirely fitting to apply Kronos to Gerlach's scientific role. The final, but the most well known code name was Die Glocke. The meaning behind this code name or it's association is entirely unclear.

In August 1997 a Polish Intelligence officer with access to Polish Government documents made writer Igor Witkowski aware of the Nazi Bell. Original documents came from war crime interrogation of former SS Lt General Jakob Sporrenberg after the war. 

According to Witkowski whilst working as a military journalist, an undisclosed member of Polish military intelligence showed him some interesting documents. Witkowski recieved discreet access over a period of a month during which he transcribed files by hand. These documents have not been independently verified, however there are several less well detailed corroborations of the Bell project from entirely different sources.

Witkowski read of a centrifuge device shaped like a Bell with hemispherical domed top. The outer Bell was made of a three inch thick ceramic material, much like a high voltage insulator. Said to be 9 feet in diameter and 12-14 feet high. It consumed prodigious amounts of electrical power and glowed violet-blue when operated for short periods.

Inside the Bell were located two contra rotating drums. [1] Mercury (alternate accounts say amalgams of mercury) was spun inside these drums. Jelly like compounds of Beryllium with Thorium were located in flasks within the central axis. Beryllium compounds in use were called “Xerum 525.” During WW2 Jelly like parraffin was used as a moderator in some reactor experiments, thus by iimplication Xerum 525 most likely contained Beryllium and Thorium suspended in Parraffin.

Dr Ing Ernst Nagelstein visited a conference in Switzerland on 2 November 1944 where he disclosed to an OSS agent present that Auer was refining Thorium to metal and there was no known use for Thorium. He also reported that Otto Hahn was working on A-bomb using either Uranium or Thorium

Thorium was mined in Silesia near the Bell's location. Even larger stocks were available in France. When the Allies landed at Normandy in 1944, Germany urgently shipped tons of French Thorium eastwards deep into Germany by rail. Why ship it so urgently and what made it so important?

The Nazi Bell was initially housed in a basement beneath the Charity hospital in Berlin and thus the project was known as Charite Anlage. 

From November 1943 the Nazi bell was housed in an underground laboratory beneath Gandau airfield on the western outskirts of Breslau, now known as the Polish city of Wroclaw. Xerum 525 compounds were supplied from a laboratory in the city of Danzig now known as Gydina. After operation the spent and altered compound was reprocessed at a laboratory west of Breslau then known as Neuberg.
It was shifted from Gandau in November 1944 to Fürstenstein Castle and later in December 1944 located inside Wenceslas mine. Following the war Professor Manfred von Ardenne led two Soviet scientists Nicolai Flyerov (aka N.I. Frolov) and Igor Kurchatov to the Wenceslas mine and gave them a description of installing what he called a cyclotron in the mine.

This mine was abandoned before the war. Above ground there was a power station with two steam cooling towers. The bases of these have become known by various names like the "Henge" after Stonehenge, or the Fly Trap. Bizarre claims are made by some that these are related to Nazi UFOs.  
Near the mine entrance Nobel Dynamit AG operated a bullet manufacturing plant. Wenceslas mine was also known by it's codename Komplex Milkow. A short distance away was Ludwikowice. The area in wartime had been part of Germany's Silesia region, but after the war most Germans were forced into East Germany and their homes were turned over to Polish refugees. In German the village was called Ludwigsdorf.
A constant criticism of the Bell story is that it is a myth based entirely upon the unverified claims of Polish author Igor Witkowski. In fact there are others who contribute small portions of the story who are also witnesses to the Bell at Ludwikowice.
  1. SS Lieutnant General Jakob Sporrenberg, Police Chief (ie Gestapo) Lublin (occupied Poland)
  2. SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Rudolf Schuster, from interrogation report at Berlin Document Centre about evacuation of the Bell by air in 1945.
  3. Dr Wilhelm Voss, Chief Executive of Skoda Works, Czechoslovakia given to Tom Agoston  
  4. Soviet plasma scientist G.N. Frolov in 1983 interview referred to Prof Baron Manfred von Ardenne as first hand witness.
  5. Railway employee from Opole, Joachim Ibrom
  6. Dr Otto Cerny (whilst working at NASA, recounted Nazi Bell to Greg Rowe)

Argentine Economic Ministry report declassified 1993 refers to Bell being unloaded in Argentina from a multi-engined German aircraft in May 1945

Other individuals who may not have first hand witnessed the Bell device itself have also contributed to understanding the project surrounding the Bell. Dr Ronald Richter strove to recreate the Bell project in Argentina after the war and the dismantling of his Bell device under political pressure applied upon Argentina in 1952 grant further insights.

It is also worth noting that Ardenne disclosed to Frolov that whilst Ardenne had installed one cyclotron like device in the mine at Ludwikowice, he said there was already another one inside the mine. At Bissingen in April 1945 the French captured what appears to have been another, incomplete Bell device created by the Swiss scientist Dallenbach. When ALSOS reached the Austrian town of Melk they came across another nuclear project with what was termed a transformer room. Dr Rolf Wideroe after the war referred to a device known as an X-ray transformer which also appears to be the Nazi Bell.

At least four such devices may have existed including Bells at Melk, Bissingen and Ludwikowice. Furthermore a giant underground transformer room at Jonsthal may have contained yet more Nazi Bell machines. The contents of Jonsthal remain classified by US authorities.

The Nazi Bell is intimately connected with the work of Swiss Plasma physicist Dallenbach's work with Forschungsstelle D. Dallenbach was contracted by AEG and his laboratory was located at Bisengen in Germany just north of Zurich. Dallenbach scrupulously avoided giving any impression that he was anything other than a neutral during the war, however he was a fervent Nazi and several slip-ups by Nazi officials and his own deputy, revealed that he was working on an atomic bomb project vital to Germany's war effort. Dallenbach himself maintained his work was pure research yet during his time in Germany the Nazis refused to fund any scientific work not vital to the war effort.

Secret Code Names

Numerous Top Secret codenames are associated with the so-called Nazi Bell. The term Nazi Bell however is just a modern affectation, due to the device's resemblance to a Bell. When the Bell turned up on a German plane in Argentina however in May 1945, Argentine Intelligence referred in a report which was classified until 1993, calling it the "Bell."

By protocol of the Army Weapons Office session of 21.7.1942, this project was awarded the priority classification "Kriegsentscheidend" - decisive for the outcome of the war - the highest known category of secrecy and funding priority known in the Third Reich. No other known project had it. The electrical giant AEG provided the huge amounts of electrical power under the contract code-name "Charite-Anlage".

The code name Charite-Anlage co-existed with Project Thor. Priority classification was invoked for the Bell with the Gestapo in 1944, quoted as SS/1940. This classification was cited seeking the release from  of engineer Richard Crämer from a 2 year sentence for defeatist attitudes. The name Charite-Anlage applied specifically to electrical engineering and manufacture of the Bell itself and the supply of power. 

Another code name associated was Der Laternenträger (Lantern Bearer), a loose metaphor for the Light Bearer, Lucifer, presumably referring to medical and biological experiments with radiation. It may also refer to the weaponisation of nuclear material produced by the Bell. The Laternenträger research was based in Fürstenstein Castle according to Gross Rosen camp survivour, Professor Mieczyslaw Moldavia. Researchers involved with this project were also investigating and testing pressure suits for a manned V-2 rocket known as the A-9, part of a manned two stage rocket for attacking New York. 

A design study was initiated for a manned A9. This version replaced the 2,200 lb warhead of the V-2 with a pressurized cockpit.

Some sources indicate that the intended mission of this extraordinarily high-performance manned missile was strategic reconnaissance. A ramjet engine and associated fuel tankage were to be added to provide power for cruise flight, and landing gear and flaps would enable landings on conventional runways. The radical vehicle would have had performance comparable to the US X-15 experimental hypersonic rocket plane of the late 1950s.

An even more advanced version of the A9 was planned to be used to attack the US from launch sites in Europe. In order to do so, an additional booster stage, the A10, was necessary.
An initial report on the concept was issued by Peenemünde's propulsion expert, Dr Thiel, on December 18 1941, immediately after the US entered the war.

The intercontinental A9 was equipped with radically modified, highly-swept wings for a transatlantic glide beginning at hypersonic (greater than Mach 5) speeds and was nested in the nose of the A10. The A10 itself was about 65 feet long and was equipped with a 375,000 lb thrust rocket engine burning Diesel-grade oil and nitric acid. During its 50 second burn, it could accelerate the A9 to a speed of about 2,700 mph and an altitude of about 15 miles. With the A9 installed, the composite rocket would have stood about 84 feet tall.

Peenemünde rocket group research on A9-influenced cruise missiles continued in the US from 1946 through about 1952 under the US Army/General Electric "Project Hermes" guided missile effort.

The project was also known as Kronos (Saturn) one of which refers to the nuclear physics aspect of experiments with the Bell. Given the Bell exploited spin polarisation of atoms to create a plasma, it would be entirely fitting to apply Kronos as reference to the rings of Saturn.
The final, but most well known code name was Die Glocke. There is no clear indication what this refers however it probably relates to a poem by Friedrich Schiller, called "Das Lied von der Glocke" (Song of the Bell). It tells the story of casting a bell, but in the process also parodies life and the development of manhood. Its talk of purity spoke to Nazis on many levels both relating to purity of the metal and purity of race. My speculative conjecture is that Die Glocke was code for the forging of an Atomic weapon.

Science behind the Bell

No credible satisfactory explanation of the Bell's purpose has ever emerged and indeed it's very existence is still disputed. Facts would suggest however, that the Bell used a hitherto barely mentioned alternate method to acquire fissile Uranium for Atomic weaponry. A photo-chemistry method mentioned in secretly recorded conversations between Nazi scientists interned at Farm Hall near Cambridge after the War.
At Farm Hall after the war, captured Nazi nuclear scientists repeatedly referred to obtaining fissile material from a photo-chemistry process. Our history books are silent on this method.  

As I hypothesize this device worked, vapourised Mercury was spun in a magnetic field to provide excited electrons. Mercury is known to fluoresce easily. Under the influence of an elctro-magnetic filed electrons would disassociate from their atomic nucleii and would swirl around the machine much like a doughnut shaped plasma (toroid). As photons collided with free electrons those collision would generate X-rays.

The spinning of these electrons, probably in an evacuated low pressure chamber with just small amounts of mercury vapour, would lead to faster and faster speeds. With each rotation more and more electrons would be stripped from the Mercury perhaps causing double and triple ionisation.     

Plasma is an electrically induced state of matter beyond those which we are normally used to, like solids, liquids, or gas. We have all see Plasma. It is present in Lightning.


During their incarceration at Farm Hall scientists, Gerlach, Diebner and Harteck all referred to the photo-chemistry method for obtaining fissile uranium, yet historical accounts of World War 2 remain utterly silent on what the process was which they referred to.

Whilst the science of photo chemistry is understood, the role it played in Nazi science is not mentioned and remains classified.  

Photochemistry relies upon ionisation of an intermediary element to create a plasma. In this case using Mercury. X-rays would be generated from the ionised plasma. Sporrenberg referred to use of Beryllium  oxide inside the Bell centrifuge. Beryllium is known to donate slow neutrons when bombarded by X-rays. So how is that useful?

It is worth noting, there are slow neutrons and fast neutrons. Fast neutrons are only useful in fission for the splitting of atoms. What it appears the Nazis were attempting to achieve was fusion, or the adding of neutrons and protons to Thorium 232 to transform it into Uranium 233.

An element is defined by the number of Protons in it's nucleus. Normally the number of Protons and neutrons are the same, but in an isotope the number of Protons remains the same, but the number of neutrons can vary in a small percentage of atoms. This could be excess or lower numbers of neutrons. For Thorium to transmute to Uranium requires taking up extra protons. When Protons are emitted that is called Beta radiation.  

Thorium has only one naturally occurring isotope therefore when converted to Uranium it would be relatively free from impurity. This is another important factor for building atomic weapons because more than 0.5% contamination renders U233 impossible to use in nuclear weapons.

Sporrenberg mentioned Xerum 525 placed at the central axis of the centrifuge. From his descriptions we can postulate that Xerum 525 was probably paraffin impregnated with Beryllium oxide and Thorium oxide.  Sporrenberg mentions red mercury which is Mercury (II) Iodide. This would have caused the red or pinkish colour which the jelly had. Red Mercury scintillates under X-rays and is used as a super-conductor. 

Paraffin works by creating a large cross section, or target and by slowing down fast particles.

Spin Polarisation:

Principle scientist in charge of the Projekt Thor, was Prof Walther Gerlach. In 1922 he became famous as an understudy to Otto Stern, for their discovery of the deflection of atoms in a magnetic field, known as the Stern–Gerlach effect. This was also the basis of Quantum Physics.

When Stern fled Jewish persecution Gerlach continued research at Goeth Institute, Frankfurt am Main where in 1933 he experimented with the fluroescence of Mercury under the influence of magnetic fields. Gerlach had also worked on transmutation of elements by photo chemistry. 

I suggest the Bell, combined spin polarisation with another effect, photo-chemistry pioneered in 1936 by Dr Ronald Richter. Richter developed Carbide arc plasma furnaces for a chemical plant at Eger in Czechoslovakia. When the plant switch to developing Lithium batteries for U-boats Richter discovered he could induce radiation by injecting Deuterium into the Lithium plasma. 
With photo-chemistry the concept creates a dense plasma contained by powerful electric magnets to cause fluorescence in Mercury. Excited Mercury ions would then cause Beryllium to emit slow neutrons to be captured by Thorium 232, changing it into Uranium 233.

A variation of this method using Uranium 238 could also conceivably breed Plutonium for atomic weapons without the need for a nuclear reactor.  

Project Thor began with Heeres Versuchanstalt No.10 - Wehrmacht Laboratory in January 1942. The project office was originally located at Torgau. From November 1943 the project office relocated to  Neumakt west of Breslau (modern Wroclaw). During the War Torgau was a penal centre where prisoners were employed in explosives manufacture. 

Dr Ing Ernst Nagelstein visited a conference in Switzerland on 2 November 1944 where he disclosed to an OSS agent present that Auer was refining Thorium to metal. He added there was no known industrial use for Thorium. He also added that Otto Hahn was working on an A-bomb using either Uranium or Thorium. This Thorium project is associated with Project Thor.

Thorium was mined in Silesia near the Bell's location. Even larger stocks were available in France. Indeed when the Allies landed at Normandy in 1944, Germany urgently shipped tons of French Thorium by rail eastwards, deep into Germany. Why ship it so urgently and what made Thorium so important? 

On 1 November 1943, Thor moved into it's new home, a complex built beneath Gandau air base. Thor operated in partnership with private joint ventures by Fürstenau und Co. GmbH, AEG, Siemens and Bosch.     

Thor also seems to have involved a powerful Tesla Coil, or Van der Graff generator built near Frankfurt am Main. Radiation from high voltage discharges were reported to have stopped engines of bomber aircraft flying overhead. This prompted a special Allied investigation called Project 1217 to investigate whether radiation discharges were a new form of weapon.

Prof Walther Gerlach who headed Thor for Heereswaffenamt was a dedicated scientist. In 1943 Gerlach received the Nobel prize for his work on spin polarisation of atoms. This itself was peculiar because his published work on the subject was in the 1920s and early 1930s. What prompted the awarding of recognition in 1943? 

As an administrator, in emergency measures to progress the German A-bomb project, Gerlach was also charged with procuring fissile Uranium from January 1944. He was appointed in charge of the entire Uranium project by Heereswaffenamt, replacing Dr Abraham Essau.

Documents captured by ALSOS at Strassburg, often referred to as the Goudsmitt Papers which were classified after the War today reveal drawings of a tall standing device, looking like a Van der Graff generator, or perhaps a Tesla Coil. At the very top inside it's spherical head was a spinning device. In the margin are notes describing 5 million volts!  

Nazi research papers captured at Strassburg concerning wartime nuclear projects were classified and archived in USA. One report has a diagram of a tall cylindrical device said in the plan to generate 5 Million Electron Volts (5MeV). This device resembled a giant Van der Graff generator and had no obvious purpose for a conventional nuclear reactor. [2]


At the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Biophysics in 1940, biologist Boris Rajewsky raised concerns about increased experimentation with artificial radiation and called for a project to research the effects of radiation. A 3 million volt device was built for Rajewsky's research whose existence remains obscure. 

When Gerlach took over from Esau in January 1944 he shunned KWI's extravagant and wasteful research projects. He focused exclusively on development of nuclear weapons. At a meeting with Mentzell and Schumann in October 1944 they passed a motion not to turn over the still unfinished 3 million volt machine to Rajewsky because other previous high voltage "neutron generators" had been destroyed by Allied bombing. The new machine was vital for "the production of neutrons in physics and in the physics of explosives." No information is available to identify what these earlier neutron generators were, or where their location was. [3]  

After 22 July 1944, the SS took over all nuclear projects from Heereswaffenamt. Oversight of Thor was administered thereafter by Fuhrungsstab Kammler as one of his key responsibilities. Increasingly as the war neared it's end, Kammler assumed direct control of several projects including production and testing of jet aircraft. Farrell in his book defines Kammler's role as the production end.

The Bell was clearly part of a weapons project administered in part by the SS Armaments office, or Forschungen Entwicklungen, Patente (research development section patents) FEP headed by Admiral Rhein. The armaments office was overall headed by SS Brigadeführer Heinrich Gärtner. The Bell project was led by SS Obergruppenfuhrer Emil Mazauw. SS Lt General Dr Hans Kammler is often associated with the Bell project however Kammler’s command appears connected more with armaments production whilst Mauzaw’s command was focused on research and development. It is possible however given his responsibility for nuclear weapons that he was connected with the weaponisation of material produced by the Bell. [4]

lmost exactly a year after it arrived at Breslau, as Soviet forces fought across Poland the Bell was shifted a short distance south into foothills of the Owl Mountains inside a complex of tunnels beneath Fürstenstein castle. The complex had been built by organisation Todt under the supervision of Xavier Dorsch These tunnels included a 2 kilometre long subterranean rail connection with the main railway line through Lubiechow in the valley below. The tunnel was connected with the castle above by elevator in a 50 metre tall shaft.

Laboratories for developing electrical discharge systems for the Bell were at Neumarkt (modern Sroda Slaska) and Leubus (modern Lubiaz) disguised in the facility of Schlesische Wekstätten dr Fűrstenau, (Furstenstein Castle) with corporate involvement by AEG (AEG-Allgemeine Elektrizitaets-Gesellschaft, Annaberg in Erzgebirge -bn) and Seimens (control mechanism). Manufacture of the complex, contra-rotating centrifugal drum mechanism was performed by BMAG (Berlin Anhaltische Maschinenbau AG) located at Dessau, home of the sprawling Junkers aircraft factory complex. In this context, BMAG was also awarded a contract for industrial scale production of Dr Erich Bagge's Isotope Sluice centrifuges.

A sizeable underground facility existed at Schloss Fürstenstein (underneath Fürstenstein Castle) lower Silesia. Nearby and to the east The main Nazi Bell facility itself was located in the Wenceslas mine at Ludwigsdorf (modern Ludwikowize). First experiments with the Nazi Bell occurred in May and June 1944.

Bell's Scientific Purpose?

One theory, is that the Bell used a hitherto barely mentioned alternate method to acquire fissile Uranium for Atomic weaponry. Not Uranium 235, but rather Uranium 233.

A method which relies upon the spin polarisation of atoms in a plasma. It is an electrically induced state of matter in addition to those which we are normally used to, namely solids, liquids, or gas.

Charite Anlage

After 22 July 1944, the SS took over all nuclear projects from Heereswaffenamt. Thor was replaced by Charite Anlage along with a host of other codenames issued by SS Armaments office, Forschungen Entwicklungen, Patente (research development work patents) FEP headed by Admiral Rhein.

The armaments office was headed by SS Brigadeführer Heinrich Gärtner. The Bell project itself was  headed by SS Obergruppenführer Emil Mazauw. SS Lt General Dr Hans Kammler has often been mentioned in relation to the Bell project however Kammler’s command appears connected more with armaments production whilst Mauzaw’s command was focused on research and development. It is possible however given his responsibility for nuclear weapons that he was connected with the weaponisation of material produced by the Bell. [4]

Almost exactly a year after it arrived at Breslau, as Soviet forces fought across Poland the Bell was shifted a short distance south into foothills of the Owl Mountains inside a complex of tunnels beneath Fûrstenstein Castle. The complex had been built by organisation Todt under the supervision of Xavier Dorsch These tunnels included a 2 kilometre long subterranean rail connection with the main railway line through Lubiechow in the valley below. The tunnel was connected with the castle above by elevator in a 50 metre tall shaft.

Laboratories for developing electrical discharge systems for the Bell were at Neumarkt (modern Sroda Slaska) and Leubus (modern Lubiaz) disguised in the facility of Schlesische Wekstätten der Fûrstenau, (Fûrstenstein Castle) with corporate involvement by AEG (AEG-Allgemeine Elektrizitaets-Gesellschaft, Annaberg in Erzgebirge) and Siemens (control mechanism). Manufacture of the complex, contra-rotating centrifugal drum mechanism was performed by BMAG (Berlin Anhaltische Maschinenbau AG) located at Dessau, home of the sprawling Junkers aircraft factory complex. In this context, BMAG was also awarded a contract for industrial scale production of Dr Erich Bagge's Isotope Sluice centrifuges.

A sizeable underground facility existed at Schloss Fürstenstein (underneath Fürstenstein Castle) lower Silesia. Nearby and to the east, the main Nazi Bell facility itself was located in the Wenceslas mine at Ludwigsdorf (modern Ludwikowize). First experiments with the Nazi Bell occurred in May and June 1944.

Evidence of the Project's existence

At Farm Hall after the War whilst interned by the Allies, Prof Gerlach complained to collegues about difficulties assembling the engineers required for his photo-chemistry project:

"It is not true that we neglected the separation of isotopes. On the contrary, we discussed the whole thing at Tübingen in February and there was a meeting at Munich. Clusius, Harteck and I said that this photo chemical thing must be done. It took until the end of the year before the people who could do it were got together and the spectrograph obtained and special accommodation acquired, as the Litz Institute had been smashed up". [5][6]

In fact project engineer, SS officer and ardent Nazi Dr Kurt Debus, denounced his collegue at AEG, Dr Richard Crämer to the Gestapo. On Crämer's behalf another collegue, Dr Carl Ramsaur, intervened and wrote to the Gestapo about the importance of Crämer's work referring to the nature of their project as 'KRIEGSENTSCHEIDENT' [WAR DECISIVE].

Anti Gravity Claims

Unfortunately the Nazi Bell attracts a lot of outlandish claims linking it to anti-gravity theories, or claims that it was a propulsion system for UFOs. I do not subscribe to, nor agree with such claims.

Some such claims may have been intended as disinformation by Sporrenberg to his interrogators. Others may be founded on Dr Ronald Richter's work in Argentina during the early 1950s on plasma shockwave induced fusion and his claims in a letter seeking work in USA on plasma ramjet engines. Richter claimed this engine could enable vertical take of fighters, but with fuel consumption 20 times greater than that of a comparable jet engine.

Joseph Farrell wrote that Gerlach never before the war referred to Gravitational physics, nor after the war returned to the subject. Oddly I point out that Gerlach made no reference to the subject during the war either. Farrell apparently ignores the obvious that this absence only corroborates the Bell had nothing to do with anti-gravity.

Gerlach never applied himself to gravitational physics during the war period. Farrell quotes Nick Cook in the book "Hunt for Zero Point", suggesting that Gerlach was frightened off the subject, yet this is just circular reasoning, trying to suggest that because he never... EVER referred to gravitational physics, therefore it must have been a cover-up.  These comments should be consigned to the illogical scrap heap of disinformation. There was no such connection. Farrell and others use interpretations, or inferences to qualify their claims.

Identities within the Bell Project

Of the other Nazi engineers or scientists claimed, or thought to be involved with the Nazi Bell, were Prof Kurt Debus, Dr Ronald Richter, Ing Otto Cerny, Dr Otto Ambros, Dr Elizabeth Adler and Ing Dr Richard Crämer. Witkowski  in his book noted from Polish Intelligence sources that the SS shot 66 scientists involved with the Bell to prevent their falling into Soviet hands. [7] These however may have been captured Soviet and eastern European “guest workers.”

There are two distinct bodies of scientists and engineers involved. Those who developed the device itself Like Richter, Crämer, Cerny and Debus, were more in the realm of high voltage electrical engineers. Ambros, Adler and Gerlach on the other hand were more likely concerned with the applications of the Bell device.

Dr Elizabeth Adler was a mathematician said to have been evacuated with the Bell and Debus on a Junkers Ju-390 flight in April 1945. [8][9] Mathematics play an important role in calculating particle deflection in quantum physics. No record of Adler survives the war, however Gerlach's assistant before the war was a talented mathematician Miss Elisabeth Borman who had also worked for Max Born. It is known that their favourite hotel in Stockholm was the Adler Hotel.

Dr Otto Ambros was expert in Chemical warfare and chairman of Albert Speer's "S" Committee. The Bell served two different projects. One for nuclear physics and the other for biological warfare research, in particular studying the effects of radiation exposure on Concentration camp inmates, animals and plants.

Bell Engineers

Dr. Kurt Debus is best known for his role in managing V-2 launches for the SS and later working for NASA on Apollo moon launches. He also had expertise however in the measurement of high voltage discharges.

His official NASA biography says:

"Born in Frankfurt, Germany, in 1908, Dr. Debus received all his schooling in that country. He attended Darmstadt University where he earned his initial and advanced degrees in mechanical and electrical engineering. He served as a graduate assistant on the faculty for electrical engineering and high-voltage engineering while studying for his master’s degree. In 1939 he obtained his engineering doctorate with a thesis on surge voltages and was appointed assistant professor at the university. During this period he became actively engaged in the rocket research program at Peenemünde".

A common criticism of the Bell story is that the only reference to its existence is from Witkowski's claim of Sporrenberg's post war testimony, however Debus also described the Bell.

-- Document dated 22 April 1943 Foreign Scientist Case Files, K Debus NARA/RG 28, US Nat. Archive, College Park, Maryland USA.

Another reference to the Bell's existence comes from Polish scientist Prof Meiczyslaw Moldovia, a former prisoner of Gross Rosen Concentration camp who worked at the technical office in Fürstenstein Castle for Laternenträger. After the War he revealed he had worked in the training of Nazi astronauts for a piloted version of the V-2 rocket. Such a rocket project did exist, called the A9/A10 Amerika Rakete intended for launch against New York. His claim might be dismissed as the product of an overworked imagination, but in January 1945 Rocket scientist Wernher von Braun stated in a report to Berlin that problems with the piloted A9 were solved. From near Arnstadt the launch of such a rocket was observed on 16 March 1945, but remains unconfirmed.

In 2000, "Der Spiegel" surprised the world when it published an interview with an interview with Raul Streicher. Streicher claimed to be Nazi Germany’s third A9/A10 astronaut after Rudolf Schreder and Martin von Duhlen. Some of Streicher’s claims seemed unbelievable but "Der Spiegel" launched a special investigation studying classified archives of the Third Reich and could not disprove his story.

It has to be noted however that some of Streicher's assertions about his own  flight defy even the performance projections made for an A9/A10 rocket by its developers, such that Stricher's claims about his own personal rocket flight should not be trusted.

Corroboration however comes from unexpected sources. In his book "Leap of Faith" (pub 2000) US "Gemini" astronaut Gordon Cooper stated that in April 1945 at Peenemünde the Germans had "a manned V-2" ready to fly. Cooper claimed his information came from "Jack Keutner" alias Dr Joachim Küttner, a former Peenemünde scientist working for NASA.


Laternenträger was also linked with the work of Dr. Erich Regener, who meticulously researched the effects of radiation from 1914.  In 1942 Regener became involved with the V-2 project developing a pressurised re-entry capsule with parachutes for a soft landing. This was called the Regener Tonne. Had the V-2 been used for nuclear warheads, or nerve gas, then Regener’s capsule would likely have been a pre-requisite. Interest in Regener’s work inexplicably halted in mid-1944.

Josef Koch was an engineer sent to work at Flottmannwerke, Breslau in May 1944. The plant consisted thirteen buildings and 2000 staff, with it’s own site Police force. Flottmanwerke made tank tracks, but it’s highest priority work was manufacturing “internal parts for V weapons.” Koch told how prior to May 1944 V-1s had been assembled there as well as V-2s.

Inside the director’s office were diagrams and officials there spoke of the V-3. Koch said the V-3 was 33.1 metres long and 3.2 metres diameter. He spoke of eight sections containing nitro glycerine and compressed air.  

It appears according to Koch therefore that at least up until May 1944, Laternenträger was involved in preparing prototypes of V-1 and V-2 rockets with nerve gas warheads.

Dr Otto Cerny revealed his role in the Nazi Bell in the early 1960s whilst working for NASA to Greg Rowe’s father. Greg recalled listening to the conversation as a child and recounted it for Henry Stevens. Cerny described it as something like a ring of stones with a hoop inside which sat the Bell. Cerny also mentioned a concave mirror above the axis through which one could see backwards. [10] The JIOA list of scientists most of whom were recruited for Operation Paperclip to work for USA. The list refers to Cerny as “Elec. Instal. on Supersonics” and that he had been attached to the technical University of Vienna. The Vienna technical university was involved with an underground SS nuclear facility at Melk and a nuclear research laboratory at Zell am See.

Crämer was a transformer engineer from Oberschönweide whom together with the AEG Research Institute was developing the Hochspannungsprojekt (High Voltages Project) under contract to Heereswaffenamt (HWA). This project was reborn under the SS in July 1944, codenamed Charite Anlage with the priority code reference SS/1040. When Crämer was denounced to the Gestapo by Gerlach, AEG Resarch institute’s Prof Dr. Carl Ramsaur defended Crämer’s importance to the war effort and the highest priority work of Prof Dr E. Schumann, to secure Crämer’s release. Ramsaur’s letter links the Bell with German atomic bomb research.

Clues to Bell’s Purpose

Dr Eric Schumann of course was working on designs in 1943 with Dr Walter Trinks for hollow, shaped charge tactical atomic weapons using Uranium 233 as their fissile mass. The question of course arises where would Schumann obtain extremely rare and hard to separate Uranium 233? 

The answer I suggest is the Bell produced Uranium 233 for Schumann. Rainer Karlsh’s book, "Hitler’s Bombe" relates that a team of physicists from Leibig University at Giessen carried out a lot of research at Ludwikowize, which is where the Nazi Bell was located. Sporrenberg commented on various animals and personnel dying horrible deaths after exposure to the Bell. He said their flesh would liquify. Giessen is north of Frankfurt am Main and it's research appears focused on genetics and biological research. Was this ghastly research to discover what radiation could do to Germany's enemies?

Bell as a Uranium/Plutonium Breeder? 

Otto Hahn experimented before the war with Lise Meitner on photo-fission techniques to determine the properties of slow neutrons and transmutation of elements. Because Hahn was not particularly gifted, or insightful, he relied heavily upon Meitner who as a Jewish scientist fled to Stockholm in 1938. Hahn used the excellent air mail service between Berlin and Stockholm throughout the war to seek Meitner’s advice and unwittingly was the prime security breach for Nazi Germany’s entire nuclear effort. Everything Hahn knew was relayed to MI5 through Operation Epsilon. [11] 

Dr Ing Ernst Nagelstein contacted the OSS in Switzerland on 2 November 1944 and disclosed that the Auer Company was refining Thorium to metal and he claimed there was no known use in Germany  for Thorium. In pre war days Thorium had been used in toothpaste, but this use had ceased during the war. Apart from large captured stocks of Thorium in France, which were suddenly removed to Germany in 1944 after the Normandy landings, Thorium was also mined in the Erzbirge, right next to the Wenceslas mine,  home to the Bell project. Nagelstein added that Otto Hahn was working on the Atomic bomb using either Thorium, or Uranium.

Other scientists known to have been involved included Dr Herman Oberth who in late September 1944 journeyed with Dr Herbert Jensen (nuclear physicist), Dr Edward Tholen and Dr Elizabeth Adler from Prague to Breslau. The Nazi Bell was located a short distance southwest of Breslau. [12] Oberth’s wartime expertise lay in developing special explosives. Schumann relied upon special high speed explosives for his shaped hollow charge mini nukes.

The importance of Schumann being linked with the Bell project is that he and Trinks had made a patent application for a hollow charge A-bomb  which specified use of U233 as it’s fissile core. Thorium 232, if bombarded by Protons with less than 14MeV energy, may be transmuted to Uranium 233 without the risk of dangerous contamination by Uranium 232. This process is called Photo Fission, or Recoil Based Fuel Breeding. This method can also breed Plutonium 239 from Uranium 238.


[1]Witkowski, Igor. "The Truth About the Wunderwaffe".
[2] NA Gerlach's Report dated 2 May 1945, RG 302, ref 244
[3] Deichmann, Ute & Dunlap, Thomas. "Biologists Under Hitler"
[4]Farrell, Joseph. "The SS Brotherhood of the Bell: The Nazis' Incredible Secret Technology". 
[5]Bernstein, Jeremy. "Hitler's Uranium Club, The Secret recordings at Farm Hall
[6]Litz Institiute, likeliest location Dessau aircraft manufacturing complex. Litz wire is a multi-braided wire for conducting very high voltage charges.
[7] Witkowski, Igor. "The Truth About the Wunderwaffe". Witkowski believing these to be German scientists is perhaps unaware the degree to which captured Soviet scientists were recruited for work on SS projects and the probability that scientists who were shot were likely to be Russian scientists. 
[8][9] Bell evacuation flight noted in Farrell, Joseph. "Giza Death Star Deployed", based upon report of SS Hauptsturmführer Rudolf Schuster's interrogation, Berlin Document Centre. 
[10] Stevens, Henry (2007) Adventures Unlimited Press. "Hitler's Suppressed and Still Secret Weapons, Science and Technology".
[11] Bodanis, David. " E=MC2"
[12] Witkowski, Igor. "The Truth About the Wunderwaffe".

© Simon Gunson (non-commercial reproduction permitted, but please cite source)

Flight of the Nazi Bell

The conventional view of the Junkers Ju-390 story is that only one prototype was ever built, being the Ju-390 V1. This version asserts that the Ju390 V1 was first flown from a dirt airstrip at Merseberg on 20 October 1943, piloted by civilian Flugkapitän Hans Joachim Pancherz and engineer Dipl-Ing Gast.

However there is also an earlier claim that the Ju-390 made its first flight in August 1943 at the hands of famous Reichlin Test pilot Flugkapitan Hans Werner Lerche at Bernberg.

The conventional view therefore is that the Ju-390V1 was retired from service and flown to Dessau in November 1944 where it was stripped of propellers and sat derelict until destroyed. There are conflicting claims of it's destruction by a US 8th Air Force raid on 16 January 1945 and other claims that it was burned in April 1945 to prevent capture.

Either way it is generally accepted the Ju-390 V1 ended its career at Dessau in November 1944 and remained derelict until destroyed in 1945.

Somewhat inconveniently for those who deny the existence of a second aircraft, accounts and sightings of Ju 390s in 1945 continued and even photos of a second aircraft in flight emerged.

In October 1943 Major Hoffmann recommended that Ju-390 production should commence immediately and there was no need for further prototype aircraft. Hoffmann urged proceeding straight to series production. Air Marshall Erhard Milch adopted Hoffmann's recommendation. The first prototype had been flying since August 1943. This aircraft displayed some longitudinal instability. The second aircraft had a much longer fuselage with a greater tail movement arm. The Ju-390 V2, fitted with BMW801E engines  was redesignated as the production standard Ju-390 A1. Junkers company records suggest that the Ju-390A1 transporter was built and did fly.

The unconventional explanation for the fate of Junkers second Ju-390 concerns an alleged flight from an airfield  at Schweidnitz in Poland to evacuate a Bell shaped ionising centrifuge used by the Nazis for advanced research of high energy fields, to Argentina, challenging historians who argue there was only ever one Ju 390 flying.  

Thes Bell device has become the subject of various claims, attracting cynicism from some and fantastic claims from others. It is sufficient however to describe it for what it was. Simply a centrifuge which spun Mercury until it fluoresced into a plasma. The plasma interacted with a variety of compounds placed in a porcelain container at the core of the centrifuge to create some very high voltage radiation. It's purpose continues to spark debates. The Bell project was known by the Nazi codenames Cronos/Laternenträger.

In the book "Wunderwaffe", by Igor Witkowski, it is stated that there are Polish depositions extant in WW2 War Crimes - proceedings against SS Lieutnant General (Gruppenführer)  Jakob Sporrenberg, Police Chief (ie Gestapo) Lublin (occupied Poland), which indicate that "Cronos/Laternenträger" was a project in plasma physics. Sporrenberg was captured in Norway, held by the British in 1946 and then returned to Poland to stand  trial. He was hung in December 1952. Before his execution he was interviewed at length and these interview reports were not declassified until 1998. Kammler oversaw this project. He was frequently at Gross-Rosen concentration camp which supplied labour for an immense underground construction in the Eulengebirge Mountains

Kammler oversaw removal and evacuation of the Bell project. He was frequently at Gross-Rosen concentration camp which supplied labour for an immense underground construction in the Eulengebirge Mountains and was linked by a long subterranean tunnel to the underground galleries at Waldenburg (modern Walbrzych) where "Cronos/Laternenträger" experiments took place. There is said to be a vast complex of tunnels over 35 square kilometres of territory. Today several tunnels are privately owned and open for tourists. Others are flooded and impossible to access. The existence of this complex is confirmed in a document dated Warsaw 6 May 1947 "Action for De-Arming Oder Line" which speaks of the removal of huge quantities of machinery from the interior of the location before it was destroyed by explosives. 

In April 1945 the Nazi Government in Berlin was preparing to evacuate key personnel and records from the capital. A vast armada of transport aircraft was required for this task.

The last communication from Kammler is a cable timed at 1100 on 17 April 1945 addressed to SS-Führungshauptamt/Org. Abt. ROEM1, Kammler responding to Berlin's request for use of transport aircraft under his command, which reads:

"Betr: LKW Junkers

Gemäss Führerbefehl gehen Massnahmen Strahlflugzeug Militärischen voraus. Bin deshalb nicht in der Lage gewesen, gewünschten LKW freizustellen. Bau-Insp. der Waffen-SS Reich Süd, Gez. Kammler


"Re: Lorry Junkers

In accordance with Führer-Order jet aircraft measures take precedence over military. Have therefore not been in the position to release the lorry you require. Bau-Insp etc, signed Kammler."

Lorry was simply code for the Junkers aircraft. This gives us an approximate date for the Bell's evacuation. About 17 April 1945.

An extraordinary aspect of this was that Kammler was turning down a request for the Ju-390 from Hitler's headquarters in April 1945. Why was Hitler's headquarters requesting the  Ju-390 ?

The answer to that question is in a book called "The Berlin Bunker" by James P O'Donnell, published 1979, compiled by interviewing 250 survivors from Hitler's Bunker in the last days of the Reich. O'Donnell cites Reichs Minister Albert Speer talking about Hitler's pilot Hans Baur. Baur it seems was obsessed in the last days with using the Ju-390 to fly Hitler to Japan..

Speer said Baur had serious plans to fly Hitler out on 23, 28 and 29 April 1945. Speer quoted Baur saying to him after the war, "right up to the last days I could have flown the Führer anywhere in the world".

Baur however was denied use of the Ju-390 for Hitler by Kammler. The world learned in 2004 from then 93 year old Hauptmann Ernst König that on 1 May 1945 he received orders from Baur to prepare a six engined BV222 flying boat to fly VIP passengers from Norway to Greenland.   

The Blohm & Voss BV222 sea plane had a range of approximately 3,800 miles, well within flying distance from Travemünde (on Germany's northern Baltic coast) to the eastern coast of Greenland. A number of U-boats operated in Greenland waters and as the giant flying boats used 2-stroke diesel engines refueling from U-boat was perfectly feasible. Also there are upwellings of warm water around Greenland which stay ice free year round suitable for water landings.

Furthermore Enigma signals decoded at Bletchley Park revealed that the Abwehr (German secret service) sailing vessel Santa Barbara was positioned in the mouth of the Orinoco River.

Santa Barbara was the former French Lobster sailing yawl Passim from the Bay of Biscay and had done several trips to Argentina during the war. It is perhaps even possible that a BV222 could reach the Orinocco River directly from a Bavarian lake.

Had Hitler wanted to escape even up to the last moment it was possible. On 1 May 1945 a large BV222 flying boat was prepared to fly senior VIPs to Greenland to escape. Smaller Bv138 flying boats evacuated Nicholas von Below who escaped from Hitler's Bunker after Hitler's suicide. These aircraft landed at night on Llake Havel and flew VIPs from Peacock island.

It is historically factual that a KG200 unit of BV138 flying boats did operate to Lake Havel on the night of 2 May 1945 and declassified Enigma signals also refer to orders for these operations. These Bv138 had been operating flights to Lake Havel at night since 25 April 1945. From 25 April onwards troops of the MarSchB 903 (903rd Naval Infantry Battalion) were flown into Berlin via Lake Havel using Bv-138 of 8/KG200 and floatplane versions of the Ju-52 operated by 3./I./TG 1, from the seaplane base at Pütnitz near Ribnitz.

In British captivity Hanna Reitsch wrote to her brother. She mentioned on 28 April 1945 as she and Ritter von Greim were departing Berlin on the improvised Tiergarten's East West Axis runway they saw a Ju-52 transport waiting next to the Brandenberg gate with its engines running and a pilot standing beside it. That letter and its contents were read and publicised by her British captors.

Several days earlier according to Albert Speer's memoirs, Speer had a huge row with Hitler's pilot, Hans Baur who had trees felled along the East West Axis (Unter den Linden) to permit large aircraft to use it as a runway.

What if Hitler had survived? (And how he could have escaped the Bunker)

There were few better pilots in the Third Reich than Hanna Reitsch, and none more loyal to its leader, Adolf Hitler.

Her flying skills and fanaticism were fully displayed on the night of 26 April 1945, when Reitsch landed her small Fieseler Storch plane on a makeshift airstrip on the Tiergarten in the centre of war-ravaged Berlin.

Accompanied by General von Greim, Reitsch made her way to Hitler's Bunker, where she found a scene of chaos.

Drunken Wehrmacht officers caroused with secretaries, while nearby artillery shells provided a rumbling background soundtrack of impending doom.

According to most accounts, Reitsch's mission was little more than an expression of her complete devotion to her Führer.

The Hitler she found in the dying days of the war was not a well man, his gait shuffling, his face lined, his body coursing with a noxious torrent of prescribed drugs. 

She expressed a wish to die alongside her ailing hero in an epic scene of Wagnerian drama.

But Hitler insisted that the fight was not over, and that although his body was weak, his will still radiated the same power as it had back in the 1930s.

Hitler informed the 33-year-old pilot that her next task would be the most important she would ever perform - she was going to help him escape.

The Führer told Reitsch that although the battle for Berlin was surely lost, the battle for the hearts and minds of the German people was still not over, and that Nazism would always survive so long as he was still alive.

Four days later, just after 11pm on April 30, three figures cautiously emerged into the flickering gloom of the Chancellery garden. Two members of the party were female - one was Reitsch, and the other was the newly married Eva Hitler, better known to the world as Eva Braun.

The third figure was wearing the uniform of an army corporal, and his face was divested of its trademark toothbrush moustache.

He carried a Walther PPK 7.65mm pistol, as well as three vials of cyanide - one for each of the group should they be captured by the Russians.

Sidestepping shell holes, burst water mains and corpses, the small party eventually reached Reitsch's small aircraft on the Tiergarten.

Although she had expressed severe misgivings that the aircraft was large enough for three people, Hitler was nevertheless insistent that he take his new wife.

Reitsch was accustomed to dangerous flights, but this journey was like no other. With its extra passenger, the plane only just managed to clear the wreckage of a shattered Panzer halfway down the Tiergarten, and as soon as they were airborne, it seemed as though every Soviet gun opened up on them.

The explosions tossed the Storch around like a feather, and it required all of Reitsch's skill to keep them in the air. Both the Führer and his bride were sick - yet Frau Hitler was still able to crack a quip that not many brides had honeymoons that had started quite like this.

When the plane reached 20,000ft, it settled into a smoother flight, safe from anti-aircraft shells. Hitler peered down to look at the blazing centre of his once glorious Reich, and vowed that he would rebuild it twice the size.

From that altitude, the Führer would not have been able to see whether his orders were being carried out faithfully by his valet, Heinz Linge, but he was confident that they would be.

Linge was a loyal servant, and when Hitler had asked him to arrange for the execution of a middle-aged man and a younger woman, and then to dress their corpses in the clothes of Hitler and his wife, he knew Linge would oblige.

He also knew that Linge would make sure that the bodies would be cremated beyond recognition with some 200 litres of petrol - a scarce enough commodity even for the occupants of the Führerbunker.

After a two-hour flight, the plane reached its destination - the coastal town of Travemünde, some 160 miles northwest of Berlin. There, moored in the water, was an enormous six-engine BV 222 flying-boat, its fuselage marked with the identifier V7.

With a range of nearly 4,000 miles, the aircraft was the ideal vehicle to spirit Hitler away from the clutches of his enemies.

Captained by Colonel Werner Baumbach and navigated by Captain Ernst König, the plane took off at a little after four o'clock in the morning, and headed towards the North Sea.

Its destination was Greenland, its icy wastes forming the perfect redoubt from which Hitler could plot the resurgence of his vile creed.

Unlike many Nazis, Hitler had no wish to travel to South America, which he knew would be the first place his pursuers would look.

After 13 hours, the mighty BV 222 landed on the near-frozen waters near the village of Ittoqqortoormiit on the eastern coast of Greenland.

The huts of a German weather station on a small island a few miles out to sea constituted, for the time being, the final destination of a man who had unleashed the most destructive conflict in history.

Although conventional wisdom would have this story as just a piece of fiction, it is not impossible.

The Fieseler Storch aircraft, although just a reconnaissance machine, was quite capable of getting VIP's out of tricky situations.  Otto Skorzeny used one to rescue the Italian Dictator Mussollini.

It is a matter of historical record that Hitler was offered escape in the manner of Mussolini but allegedly refused. 

Throughout the remainder of her life, Reitsch remained a controversial figure, tainted by her ties -- both real and suppositious -- to the dead Führer and his henchmen. The circumstances surrounding her 1945 sojourn in Hitler's Berlin Bunker especially haunted her. In a postscript to a new edition of her memoirs, published shortly before her death from a heart attack in 1979, she wrote: "So-called eyewitness reports ignore the fact that I had been picked for this mission because I was a pilot and trusted friend [of Greim's], and instead call me `Hitler's girl-friend'....I can only assume that the inventor of these accounts did not realize what the consequences would be for my life. Ever since then I have been accused of many things in connection with the Third Reich."

While the "Right Stuff" men were still sitting behind conventional engines and looking through the arcs of their propellers, a pilot in Germany was routinely setting records in exotic jet- and rocket-powered aircraft and helping draft the first blueprints for a trip to Mars.

While the Allied air forces were pounding Germany's industrial infrastructure to dust during World War II, Germany turned in desperation to its best test pilot--arguably the most professional and courageous who ever lived--to push aviation technology far beyond anything the Allies ever dreamed of in a last-ditch effort to defeat them.

When a powerful Russian army was only scant yards from Hitler's bunker, a pilot in Germany landed a bullet-riddled plane (with a freshly wounded comrade writhing in the cockpit) on a shell-cratered Berlin street in a futile effort to rescue Hitler from the deadly trap. Two days later, the pilot successfully took off from the same street through a hailstorm of Russian gunfire, again swerving around the shell craters.

These are but a few of the incredible exploits of Hanna Reitsch.

Had Reitsch never lived, a hypothetical screenplay of her adventures would probably be dismissed as being "too far-fetched to be believable."

The first operational jet fighter, the twin-engine Me-262 'Swallow' was one of Reitsch's more routine rides.

She also tested a cockpit-equipped V-1 rocket and the insanely dangerous rocket-powered Me-163 'Komet'.

Werner Baumbach was a bomber pilot in the German Luftwaffe during World War II and commander of the secret bomber wing KG 200.

He was one of the first pilots to fly the Junkers Ju 88 bomber and flew various bombing missions with KG 30.

In 1942, Baumbach was removed from active pilot duty and started working on new bomber designs; among others, he helped design the composite bomber system Mistel.

In 1944, he was placed in command of the newly-formed KG 200 and was in charge of all Luftwaffe special missions..

Baumbach released his memoirs, "Zu Spät: Aufstieg und Untergang der Deutschen Luftwaffe" (English title: "Broken Swastika"), in the late 1940s. The book demonstrates that even after Germany's defeat, Baumbach still believed to a very large extent in the National Socialist ideology.

The fact that Baumbach's time as commander of KG 200 is not mentioned with a single word highlights the extreme secrecy of Germany's special missions program.

An article appeared in a German newspaper in the 50s reminiscing about long range flights to Japan by Junkers Ju-290 aircraft.

Ju 290 aircraft were converted to civilian airframes with extra fuel capacity and these were transferred to Deutsche Lufthansa (DLH) during the war. These aircraft flew from Bulgaria to Yin-ch'uan also known as Ninghsia, which is 540km west of Beijing.

The same article also refers to flights by BV222 aircraft in Lufthansa registrations to Sakhalin Island which was then part of Japan.

It may be fair to surmise therefore that Hitler's pilot Hans Baur planned to evacuate the Führer to Japan via a refueling stop at sea with a U-boat near Greenland.

One rather secretive U-boat the U-534 was often posted to perform weather duties near Greenland, but was in the Baltic at the time. Other U-boats often landed spies in Canada. At any given time late in the war there was usually one U-boat performing weather duties near Greenland. From there Sakhalin was probably within range of the BV222.

In his memoirs Hans Baur, Hitler's private pilot,  insisted Hitler could have been evacuated as late as 28 April 1945.

A German navigator has described for the first time a daring plan by the Nazis to evacuate their surviving leaders by flying boat to Greenland at the end of the Second World War.

The plan, which was scuppered by the German surrender, would have involved Hermann Göring, Heinrich Himmler and other senior figures taking off from north Germany to continue their struggle from abroad.

Hitler had planned to stay expecting his armies to surround the Russians as they attacked Berlin. Hitler's armies, however, melted away and abandoned him.

A Soviet Intelligence  Colonel, Lev Brymenski, revealed during the Cold War that SS General Wilhelm Möhnke attempted to negotiate with Zuhkov under a flag of truce for Hitler to escape to Japan. Hitler offered to capitulate all of northern Germany and Denmark to the Soviets in return for his escape. The Soviets turned down that request.

The Greenland operation has been revealed by Captain Ernst König, 93, who had previously been determined to keep the story secret until after his death. He was persuaded to speak by friends in Britain.

The last-ditch mission described by König also involved an attempt to pick up a copy of the Führer's Will from Berlin, but this had to be abandoned because of heavy Russian fire.

Terry Charman, a historian at the Imperial War Museum in London, said he believed König’s story was credible and was backed up by incidental details revealed by other Germans.

Rudolf Schuster's testimony

As the story is told, In April 1945 as Soviet forces closed on Schweidnz (modern Swidnica). the Bell was loaded on a Junkers Ju-390 aircraft.

In his book, "Wunderwaffe", Witkowski says the Ju-390 flew from Prague to Opole, Poland.

Another witness SS Hauptsturmführer Rudolf Schuster of the SS Economic Ministry (WHVA) who witnessed the Bell device being loaded into a Ju 390 for an evacuation from Germany at an airfield at Schweidnitz 100km west of Opole in an area still held by the 17th Army. The 1st Panzer Army still held territory east, near Opole and the 4th Panzer Army still held territory west of Schweidnitz (modern Swidnica). Other sources suggest the airfield may have been Bystzyca Klodzka airfield situated in a valley within the Eulenbirge mountains themseleves and indeed west of Opole. Bystzyca Klodzka was connected by narrow gauge railway with the Wenceslas mine at Ludwikowice.  

Schuster noted the Ju-390 aircraft was hidden under tarpaulins at the airfield, but beneath those tarpaulins it was painted in pale blue with markings of the Swedish Air Force. Sporrenberg testified that it departed with passengers engineer SS Mjr. Kurt Debus, mathematician Elizabeth Adler and scientist Dr Hermann Oberth, for Bodo in Norway. Elisabeth Adler has proven impossible to identify with certainty, but she appears to have been Prof Walther Gerlach's previous laboratory assistant Elisabeth Borman. She was a mathematician in her own right. 

Schuster was with the special economic department of the SS. His testimony survives to us at the Berlin Document Centre. Critics say there is no record of Schuster's name in the SS, but the same can be said of many Luftwaffe personnel after the Nazis deliberately destroyed personnel files at Linz in April 1945.

Nuclear scientist Professor Walther Gerlach had been involved with the Nazi Bell device. Gerlach was the only Nazi scientist handed over to the Americans by the British. His wartime diary remains classified top secret by the CIA.

Testimony from Dr Wilhelm Voss

In 1974 British Journalist Tom Agoston interviewed Kammler's boss in charge of the SS Skoda works, Dr Wilhelm Voss. His guest Voss, unaware of the testimony from either Schuster, or Sporrenberg told Agoston about the Ju-390 flight from Schweidnitz to Bodo and the Bell. Voss was in hiding at Agoston's lodgings seeking to avoid indictment at Nuremberg.

Arriving Bodo Norway

Sporrenberg claims the Ju-390 was kept under SS guard at Bodo under tarpaulins painted in pale colours of the Swedish Air Force. Bodo was a small fishing town of 5000 Norwegians. The airfield nearby had been hastily built by the British in 1940 as a base for Hurricanes and Gladiator fighters.

The Luftwaffe took over Bodo airfield basing a collection of Me-109, Ju-87 Stukas and a handful of Ju-88/Ju-188 there. Bodo's 1200 metre runway was formed by planking over a marsh area. It would have had a relatively weak flexible runway. Fortuitously the Ju-290 was capable of landing on runways with Pavement Construction Numbers (PCN) of just 7.5.

The Ju-390 was also capable of landing in just 510 metres of runway. It had an exceptionally slow stall speed of just 66 knots. 

From Bodo to Argentina

At this point German sources fall silent, but according to several 1945 claims, a six engined, or multi engined German transport plane arrived at a private aerodrome at Puntas de Gualeguay in Argentina 195 km north of Buenos Aires where it unloaded a Bell device and some passengers. 

Long after World War 2, the secretive Argentine Government was compelled at congressional hearings to declassify some of it's wartime dealings with Nazi Germany. Out of this tumbled the fact that a large multi engined German aircraft flew to El Palomar airbase Buenos Aires on 2 May 1945 from Villa Cisneros (now known as Daklha) and unloaded a device simply called the Bell. It was then flown from El Palomar to a jungle airstrip in Entre Rios province Argentina in May 1945  and then to a German owned ranch in Uruguay near Paysandu. To cover the embarrassment of the aircraft's existence in Argentina as the Third Reich collapsed, it was broken up with parts dumped into the Rio Pirana.

-- Classified Intelligence report of Argentine Economic Ministry 1945 only declassified 1993

The report itself was not published. Prior to declassification of Polish archives in 1998 there was no public knowledge of the Nazi Bell device, thus the Argentine report was an entirely independent corroboration of Sporrenberg, Schuster and Voss.

Many years later, Abel Basti's 2004 tourist guide to "Bariloche Nazi", disclosed the report's claims about the Bell arriving in 1945. Basti probably obtained this document by giving numerous undertakings to the Argentine authorities. This is not an abnormal procedure in this country. The Argentine Government does not wish to have sensitive matters involving its Nazi past given official airing, but occasionally Argentine authors are allowed to see documents unofficially. Undertakings usually include promising not to publish any photocopy, not to show the copy to anybody else, not to quote the issuing office, and to change important sensitive details - in this particular document it is not clear whether the aircraft landed in Uruguay, or Argentina because the location is deliberately obscured and confused.

Witkowski revealed a report, only declassified in 1998, by the son of a Polish diplomat  who witnessed a Junker 390 being dismantled in May 1945 at an airfield on a German ranch along a road east from Paysandu city towards Rivera, near the village of "19 de Abril" in Paysandu Province, Uruguay.

Local folklore has it that parts of the aircraft were cut up and dumped in the Rio Uruguay.

The aircraft's arrival is also quoted in Abel Basti's 2004 tourist guide to "Barriloche Nazi."

Three independent sources corroborated each other about a Ju-390 flight from Silesia to Bodo. Two further reports independently corroborate the arrival of this aircraft in Argentina and/or Uruguay in May 1945. All five cross corroborate each other that the Ju-390 evacuated a Bell device from the war in Europe.

When Argentina created it's own nuclear program in 1947 at remote Lake Nahuel Huapei, close to the Nazi populated town of Barriloche, it was the same device offloaded from the Ju 390 at El Palomar which was set up in Dr Ronald Richter's laboratory. Information that the Bell was a particle accelerator comes in part from the 1956 job application by Dr Ronald Richter to work for the US Air Force. A job application which apparently was so sensitive that it too remained classified until 1999.  

During WWII the Germans developed or planned a number of Wunderwaffen, or miracle weapons which, Hitler assured his people, would reverse the Reich’s fortunes and lead to victory. The Germans tried to develop a nuclear fission bomb, but, we are told, were stymied by Allied sabotage of their heavy water plant…they needed the heavy water (Deuterium Oxide) for a nuclear reactor. They developed Schnorchels for submarines; they built the world’s first truly successful jet fighter, the Me-262; they developed a rocket fighter; they designed the first jet bomber; they experimented with a flying wing aircraft (but there is no evidence that they overcame its control and stability problems); and, of course, they designed and built the powerful V-2 rocket, the first rocket capable of reaching outer space.

Some, like the V2 rockets and the first jet fighters, saw action but came too late to halt defeat. Others were so outrageously ambitious that they never got past the drawing board.

The idea of building flying saucers to bomb London and even New York could have been just such a scheme. And
now it is claimed that Hitler’s scientists had indeed designed this type of aircraft – and were so far advanced with the project that a prototype may even have flown.

The programme, under the command of SS officer Hans Kammler, was said to have made significant break-throughs with their experiments, says a report in the German science magazine "PM".

There have also been persistent rumors that the Germans, and possibly their Japanese allies as well, developed nuclear weapons despite the lack of heavy water, having discovered a way to enrich Uranium to bomb grade level (about ninety percent U-235 isotope).

There is the curious case of the U-234 submarine, which was surrendered to the Americans on 19 May 1945, with a mysterious cargo in lead containers. Did the U-234 carry U-235? Or was it merely natural Uranium? Two Japanese officers had been on board but supposedly committed suicide when the crew decided to surrender to the Americans. Apparently the submarine was carrying Uranium, whether natural or enriched, to Japan, but changed course. If the cargo was only natural Uranium, why did US officials classify everything? On the other hand, if the Nazis had developed nuclear weapons, why would they not have used them? Author and researcher Joseph P. Farrell has speculated that Martin Bormann bribed the Americans with the Uranium so as to escape being charged with war crimes. Other accounts suggest that Bormann died while trying to escape Berlin during the final battle, or that he went to the Soviet Union and, perhaps, had been a Soviet agent all along. There are also the rumors that Hitler flew out of Berlin and took a U boat to Argentina or even to a secret Nazi base in Antarctica. It is a fact that the Nazis were somewhat obsessed with Antarctica, and that many top Nazis did find asylum in Juan Peron’s Argentina.

But of all the legends about the Nazis, none is more fascinating than the claims that they succeeded in developing gravity control, and, perhaps, "free" or "virtual" energy. Where did the Nazis gain the knowledge needed to do the seemingly impossible?

A book released over fifty years after the Second World War was over, put forward a different theory as to why. Polish author Igor Witkowski,  in his 2000 book "The Truth About The Wonder Weapon" (Prawda o Wunderwaffe). In the book, Witkowski claimed he had read and translated transcripts from Nazi SS officer, Jakob Sporrenberg. He said that he had access to these files through an unnamed source from the Polish intelligence community, and that while he was allowed to see them and translate them, he was not allowed to make copies of them. He described a supposed gravity control craft built by Nazi scientists, called "die Glocke," or "the bell," due to its shape. The design incorporated rotating cylinders and mercury, reminiscent of the legendary Hindu "Vimanas". Mercury was also important for Medieval alchemists, and there have been persistent rumors that a mercury compound called “red mercury,” or mercury antimony oxide (Hg2Sb2O7) can cause a nuclear explosion. Witkowski stated that the dimensions for Die Glocke were impressive to say the least, standing at between 12 to 15 feet high, measuring 9 feet across and was made of a very "hard and heavy" metal. It was shaped very much like a bell, hence the name, and there were said to be strange ancient-type hieroglyphics around the base of it. Hard proof of this is lacking.

Supposedly the Bell was tested at a structure called the “Henge” near Ludwikowice, Poland, near the Czech border. Again, proof is lacking, but the structure undeniably exists. Skeptics claim that it is merely the support for a water tower, but, unless it is on a hill (videos show no evidence of this) it is far too low for an effective water tower. This entire story has been taken up and developed further by Joseph P. Farrell, a formidable researcher with a considerable knowledge of science and technology.

But, if there is any truth to any of this, where did the Nazis gain the knowledge needed to do the seemingly impossible? 

German physicist Walter Gerlach made a study of gravity, and he had once suggested that mercury might be transformed into gold by relatively simple means…clearly, he thought outside the box. Farrell and others have suggested that he may have played a major part in Nazi gravity control research, and that the overall project may have been headed by SS Obergruppenführer Hans Kammler, who disappeared at the end of the war.

Then there is the case of Austrian researcher Viktor Schauberger, who was fascinated by the esoteric qualities of water and obsessed with implosions and centripetal flows. As has been the case with Nikola Tesla, Schauberger has achieved an almost legendary status, and there are rumors that he developed a round turbine engine called a “Repulsine” that could control gravity, creating a vortex and rising straight upwards. 

Artistic concept of the V7

The SS captured Schauberger and made him try to turn the engine into a vertical takeoff aircraft – which looked exactly like a flying saucer.The prototype crashed – but the research was said to be continued by a shadowy V2 rocket engineer called Dr Heinrich Richard Miethe.

Miethe – whose existence has never been conclusively proved – was said to have worked on several "Flugscheiben" – or "flight disc" – designs during the early 1940s.

The most notorious of these designs was the fabled V7 – which supposedly harnessed high-intensity electrical charges to use atmospheric oxygen to oxidize atmospheric nitrogen for an an endless fuel supply. No photographs of the V7 survive, but after the war, German engineer Bruno Schwenteit patented a flying saucer design he claimed was actually constructed during the war.

The Soviets are said to have seized the V7 prototype when they marched into the Breslau air base in western Germany – now Wrocław, Poland. In 1952, Miethe reportedly told the French daily newspaper "France-Soir": "If flying saucers exist, it is the V7 which I built in 1944, the engines of which the Russians seized at Breslau".

Once again, hard proof is lacking.

There is yet another possibility. The Nazi Party was created, and Hitler sent to become its leader, by a mysterious and rather sinister cult called the Thule Society, named for a legendary northern version of Atlantis, supposedly the original home of the Aryan race. The Thule Society was essentially an earlier cult, the German Order, under a new name, and the German Order was essentially a rebirth of a still earlier cult, the Order of the New Templars. There were also known connections with the Vril Society, and many prominent figures in the Nazi party had known interests in the Occult and the so called dark arts. Anyone who has studied these cults, and the Theosophists, and the earlier Masons and Rosicrucians, and the still earlier Knights Templar, will notice that the same signs and symbols and beliefs appear over and over. It is quite likely that these cults, or at least their beliefs and goals, are descended from the ancient mystery cults, and/or a branch of the ancient Egyptian priesthood. Evidence has emerged in recent years confirming a belief  that early Man was much more advanced than previously believed, and civilizations existed long before historical Egypt and Sumer. Plato said that the buildings of Atlantis were made of red, black, and white stones…and these are the colors of the Nazi flag. It is entirely possible that the technology of gravity control has been passed down by secret societies and originated in prehistoric times. 

Possibly through the Vril Society's influence, which very much believed in UFOs and ancient technology, they Nazis seemed to have a keen interest in ancient items and writings, in particular ancient Indian Sanskrit.

An ancient Hindu manuscript, "Samarangana Sutradhara" [translated as "Battlefield Commander"], describes a very similar machine to the Bell:

"Strong and durable must the body of the Vimana be made, like a great flying bird of light material. Inside one must put the mercury engine with its iron heating apparatus underneath. By means of the power latent in the mercury which sets the driving whirlwind in motion, a man sitting inside may travel a great distance in the sky. The movements of the Vimana are such that it can vertically ascend, vertically descend, move slanting forwards and backwards".

ccording to another ancient Hindu text the "Mahabharata" one Vimana variety was shaped like a sphere and borne along at great speed on a mighty wind generated by mercury.

That the Vimana described in antiquity were a viable mode of flight is indisputable. That they once existed - very likely - that they have been duplicated in the modern era - disputable.

If the Nazis had developed this technology, it must have been at the very end of the war, or they would have produced these crafts in large numbers and used them as weapons against the Allies. Farrell and others have suggested that two of America’s most famous UFO incidents may have been caused by crashes, not of alien craft, but of the Nazi Bell, whether controlled by a secret group of Nazis or by our own government, or by the Soviets.

The first of these is the Roswell crash. To those who claim that the incident can be explained by the crash of a Project Mogul balloon, it can be be pointed out that a balloon is a balloon is a balloon. Neoprene is synthetic rubber, and metal foil and balsa wood were very familiar materials in 1947. There is no way on Earth that Major Jesse Marcel, the intelligence officer involved, would not have recognized a balloon, whatever its purpose. Had he reported a balloon as a crashed "flying disk" his career would have ended that day…but he was later promoted. His commander, Colonel Blanchard, authorized a press release stating that it was a "flying disk," yet he was promoted all the way to four stars. And if the wreckage was that of a mere balloon, why was no writing in English found, why no "made in USA" or "property of US government," or directions telling anyone who found it to call the nearest Army base? And the Mogul balloons were really trains of balloons held together by long cords. Why was no cord reported?

Clearly something crashed at Roswell, and clearly it was not a balloon of any kind, and clearly it was of interest to the Army Air Force. The possibility that it was interplanetary cannot be ruled out, but neither can the possibility that it was man made, whether developed by researchers working in the US, or by the Soviets, or by some secret group of Nazis operating independently.

Perhaps the most likely explanation (but not necessarily the correct one) is that the object at Roswell was designed by Nazi scientists working for the US under the auspices of Operation Paperclip. Aspects of the crash might be explained by the Nazi obsession with magic and occult lore, an obsession matched by the Freemasons in the US government. The "hieroglyphics" reportedly seen on the fragments found at Roswell might well be Germanic runes of the kind found around the "Black Sun" symbol at Wewelsburg Castle.

Model of the crashed "Acorn"
originally created for the show "Unsolved Mysteries"
and put on display near the Kecksburg fire station

Many have speculated what became of "Die Glocke" after the Nazis fell, but perhaps  Farrell’s  contention is the most plausible. He contends that the device in fact resurfaced, some 20 years after WWII, crashing into the woods of Kecksburg, Pennsylvania on 9 December 1965.

Dozens of people across the northeastern US and eastern Canada saw a fireball streak across the sky, and many reported that it made major direction changes…something virtually impossible for a meteor. Many heard sonic booms, and there were even claims of fragments of hot metal falling from it. The object was described by several volunteer firemen and others as "Acorn shaped" (similar to descriptions of the Bell), made of metal, and about as large as a Volkswagen Beetle. Several people reported "hieroglyphics" around the base of the object.

Witnesses further reported that intense military presence, most notably the United States Army, secured the area, ordered civilians out, and then removed an object on a flatbed truck. The military claimed they searched the woods and found "absolutely nothing".

The "Tribune-Review" from nearby Greensburg which had a reporter at the scene ran an article the next morning, "Unidentified Flying Object Falls near Kecksburg—Army Ropes off Area." The article continued, "The area where the object landed was immediately sealed off on the order of U.S. Army and State Police officials, reportedly in anticipation of a 'close inspection' of whatever may have fallen ... State Police officials there ordered the area roped off to await the expected arrival of both U.S. Army engineers and possibly, civilian scientists". However, a later edition of the newspaper stated that nothing had been found after authorities searched the area.

Local radio reporter John Murphy allegedly photographed the object, and, according to his wife, Bonnie Milslagle, some military personnel confiscated the film. Several radio station employees verified that they saw the photos, and that people claiming to be government agents confiscated the radio program tapes. In February of 1969, while on vacation in Ventura, California, Murphy was killed by a hit and run driver. 

There had been some speculation by NASA's James Oberg, that the object in the Kecksburg Incident may have been debris from Kosmos 96, a Soviet satellite, a space probe intended for Venus which failed and never left the Earth's atmosphere. Kosmos 96 had a bell- or acorn-like shape similar to the object reported by eyewitnesses (though much smaller than witnesses reported).

However, in a 1991 report, US Space Command concluded that Kosmos 96 crashed in Canada at 3:18 a.m. on 9 December 9, 1965, about 13 hours before the fireball thought to be the Kecksburg object undergoing re-entry was recorded at 4:45 p.m.

In December 2005, just before the 40th anniversary of the Kecksburg crash, NASA released a statement to the effect that they had examined metallic fragments from the object and now claimed it was from a re-entering "Russian satellite". The spokesman further claimed that the related records had been misplaced. According to an "Associated Press" story:

"The object appeared to be a Russian satellite that re-entered the atmosphere and broke up. NASA experts studied fragments from the object, but records of what they found were lost in the 1990s".

The claim contradicts what Nicholas L. Johnson, NASA's chief scientist for orbital debris, in 2003  stated - that orbital mechanics made it absolutely impossible for any part of the Kosmos 96 Venus probe to have accounted for either the fireball or any object at Kecksburg. Johnson also added there were no other known man-made satellites or other objects that re-entered the atmosphere on that day. 

Debunkers have pointed out that other Kecksburg residents, who did not witness the object at close hand, are skeptical of their fellow citizens’ stories, …but it is almost inconceivable that all the witnesses are lying (and telling pretty much the same story).

In 2005, NASA revealed that the object was a downed Soviet satellite, contrary to their earlier claims, according to "Today in History". NASA also claimed that all records of the incident were misplaced sometime in the 1990s.

The description of  "Die Glocke" and the fact that the Nazi’s dabbled in both the occult and pseudoscience, and the eye witness accounts of what crashed in the woods of Kecksburg, Pennsylvania in 1965 suggests that quite possibly key pieces of history are being kept from us.

Again, as is so often the case, final proof is lacking. But the evidence overall suggests that our government has long had access to exotic propulsion systems and energy sources.

Site Meter